Take Back the Night, an annual event organized by SACHA — Sexual Assault Centre (Hamilton & Area) — is a powerful opportunity for all woman-identified individuals to actively build connections, assertively reclaim our right to safety, and courageously stand up against violence.
This year’s event will include puppets, information tables, drumming, Zumba, sign making, music, some surprises and, of course, a loud and empowered march!
When: Thursday, September 17th, 2015
6:00pm – We Gather
7:00pm – We Rally
7:30pm – We March
What to bring?
- A sign with your message about ending violence — There will be a sign making table at the gathering with markers and bristol board if you’d like to make a sign at the event.
- Comfy shoes — The march is an hour long!
- A water bottle — There are water filling stations at the gathering and a fountain in City Hall.
- Noise makers — Let’s get loud!
- Weather appropriate clothes — TBTN happens rain or shine!
The march will be leaving City Hall at 7:30pm and following this route:
I can’t walk the entire march
If you are not able to march the entire route there is a short cut back to City Hall at Summers Lane near the Hamilton Convention Centre. There will be a TBTN marshal waiting there to walk with folks back to City Hall. (She will be holding an amazing sign and wearing a reflective vest. You can’t miss her!)
Also, this year we will have an HSR city bus following the march for folks who are not able to walk the entire way.
- Walk behind the sound truck.
- Be patient – women with strollers or women using wheelchairs or walkers may need to move more slowly.
- Follow the marshals’ instructions. Marshals are wearing reflective vests.
- Please talk to a marshal if you need assistance.
- Use the shortcut back to City Hall at Summers Lane on King Street or use the bus that is following behind our march if you are not able to walk the entire route.
We will march on the street in a lane of traffic.
Take Back the Night can bring up many emotions – joy, sadness, excitement, fear, love. If you need to talk with someone please visit the SACHA table where there are folks ready to listen or call SACHA’s 24 Hour Support Line – 905.525.4162.
- About SACHA
- About Take Back the Night
- TBTN Facebook event
- About the march
- About why we invite women-identified folks and kids
- About the event for male allies