Take Back the Night is SO CLOSE!!!
We know you’re excited! We know you have questions! Here’s all the info that you could ever want to prepare!
- You can march with us!
- Reasons not to come
- Male allies cheering section
- Why do we centre women and gender non-conforming folks?
- March, route, what to bring, logistics, etc
- Police at TBTN
- Thank yous
Take Back the Night, an annual event organized by SACHA — Sexual Assault Centre (Hamilton & Area) — is a powerful opportunity for survivors and their supporters to actively build connections, assertively reclaim our right to safety, and courageously stand up against violence.
What to Bring?
- A sign with your message about ending violence — There will be a sign making table at the gathering with crafts supplies if you’d like to make a sign at the event.
- Comfy shoes — The march is an hour long!
- A water bottle or mug — There’s hot coffee at the snack table during the gathering and a fountain in City Hall.
- Noise makers — Let’s get loud!
- A raincoat (perhaps…) — TBTN happens rain or shine!
Thursday, September 28th
6pm – We Gather
7pm – We Rally
7:30pm – We March
Hamilton City Hall – 71 Main Street, Hamilton ON
The march will be leaving City Hall at 7:30pm and following this route:
I Can’t Walk the Entire March
If you are not able to march the entire route there is a short cut back to City Hall at Summers Lane near the Hamilton Convention Centre. There will be a TBTN marshal waiting there to walk with folks back to City Hall.
Also, this year we will have an HSR city bus and a DARTS bus following the march for folks who are not able to walk the entire way.
- Walk behind the soundtruck.
- Be patient – folks with strollers or folks using wheelchairs or walkers may need to move more slowly.
- Follow the marshals instructions. Marshals are wearing reflective vests.
- Talk to a marshal if you need assistance.
- Use the shortcut back to City Hall at Summers Lane or the bus that is following the march if you are not able to walk the entire route.
- Visit the SACHA table or call SACHA’s 24 Hour Support Line – 905.525.4162 – if you need supportive listening. Take Back the Night can bring up a lot of emotions – joy, anger, sadness, excitement, fear, love.
We will march on the street in one lane of traffic.
Take Back the Night can bring up many emotions – joy, sadness, excitement, fear, love. If you need to talk with someone please visit the SACHA table where there are folks ready to listen or call SACHA’s 24 Hour Support Line – 905.525.4162.