Inasmuch House is creating a zine (small publication) about the need for a National Housing Strategy that addresses the lack of safe and affordable housing, and how this affects women and families accessing violence against women and homeless shelters.
We would love contributions from other shelters, as well as spaces that work with women and families who have experiences trying to access safe and affordable housing.
Ideas for how to contribute:
- Hold a workshop to talk about the National Housing Strategy and how it impacts women and families in shelters
- Ask about the women and families experiences and stories, as well ideas for how to make positive changes – collect their stories in written format
- Using half of an 8.5×14 sheet of paper, have residents share their experiences with housing – write poems, draw, collage, make a list, etc. – to contribute to the publication
- Write / make art about your own experiences as a transition support worker working with women and families accessing housing: what are some major obstacles you’ve seen, what ideas do you have that could improve access?
What will be the outcome of this project?
- This zine will be distributed at the Hamilton Feminist Zine Fair (Nov 5th 2016 at the Hamilton Public Library, Central Branch) as well as to organizations including SACHA, YWCA Hamilton, VAW and homeless shelters, and more
- We will be using this zine to participate in the “Let’s Talk Housing” National Housing Strategy initiative, and make connections with Hamilton City Council, the Status of Women office, and other government bodies
If you have any questions or contributions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for contributing to this project!