On Friday May 6th 2016, join the thousands across Canada wearing purple in support of survivors of sexual violence; in its sixth year, the campaign is called No One Asks For It!
In many provinces in our nation, May is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Sexual abuse and sexualized violence in our communities is far more common than most people think. According to a 2006 Statistics Canada report, one in three women will experience some form of sexual assault in their lifetime. In 2008, they also reported that over half of police reported sexual assault victims were under the age of 18.
One of the biggest hurdles people face after a sexual assault is the notion that somehow they “asked for it” by what they were wearing, where they were, what they were doing or drinking. This is victim-blaming.
On May 6th, let’s make an impact across Canada. Wear purple and show your support of survivors.
Make sure to RSVP to this year’s Facebook Event Page and invite your friends to participate!
No One Asks For It! Toolkit
- Invite all your friends to participate in No One Asks For It!
Like No One Asks For It on Facebook and share this year’s event page!
Tweet it #nooneasksforit
Email a link to this page
- Share information about what you’re doing for No One Asks For It!
- Tweet and retweet using the hashtags #nooneasksforit
- Change your facebook profile picture, facebook cover photo, and twitter background to No One Asks For It!
- Show us your purple! Post a picture of you and/or your friends wearing purple on May 6th 2016!!
- Download and share the No One Asks For It! logo
- Contact local press to share details about your event.
- Blog and submit articles to your local media outlets about why you are wearing purple.
- Distribute posters. Use our poster or make your own.
- Download the print-ready postcard.