Ending sexual violence feels like a GIANT task, but there are small things that you can do every single day to work both to create a culture of consent, to stand up against rape culture, to question victim blaming, and to support survivors.
- Learn more about sexual violence – Listen to survivor stories, how abusers use power and control, how different forms of oppression intersect, recognizing rape culture happening every day, what enthusiastic consent looks like. So much to learn!
- Practice your consent skills – It’s not just for sex! Asking for a hug or checking to see if you can take someone’s photo is a great way to practice consent every day.
- Think and prepare – Treat bystander intervention like first aid! Read up on what you could do before situations happen. Talk with friends, read articles, brainstorm ideas.
- Take ACTION! – Now that you’ve thought about it, use one of your many tools to challenge oppressive or sketchy behaviour.
- Speak OUT! – Create a video, zine, piece of art, write a blog post, post articles and infographics, talk with friends.
- Support Survivors – Listen to them. Believe them. Ask them how you can help.
Need someone to bounce ideas off of? Call SACHA’s Support Line to talk about how you can take action every day – 905.525.4162.