On Tuesday, we lead a workshop about gender empowerment and healthy relationships with Sharing our Spirits, an awesome group of young women.
We talked about gender, power, oppression, as well as the things that we love and hate about being a woman.
They let us know why they march at Take Back the Night.
There were lots of links and resources that we mentioned and promised to share:
- Anita Sarkeesian’s TED Talk
- Steph Guthrie’s TED Talk
- The number of women in Canadian Parliament – 25.3%. That is below the 30 percent that the United Nations has determined is needed to make women’s voices count and be heard. Rwanda is the number one country in the world with women making up 63% of their parliament. Canada ranks 46th in the world.
- Talking about the affect of sexism and toxic masculinity on men, the short film Shredded follows a group of teenage boys eager to emulate the muscle-filled bodies of their media heroes.
- From the documentary Tough Guise, talking about the unrealistic expectations on men to be muscular:
- We also talked about SACHA’s Healthy Relationship Checklist.
If you would like to invite us to speak about gender empowerment, consent, healthy relationships, taking action to end sexual violence, or lots of other stuff, contact SACHA’s Public Education Coordinator – Erin Crickett, firstname.lastname@example.org.