by Hamilton’s Sanctuary City Coalition
On April 01, 2015, the 4 & 4 rule (Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations s. 200(3)(g)) will come into effect.
Under these rules, low-waged workers in the Temporary Foreign Worker program and Live-In Caregiver streams who have been employed in Canada for one or more periods totaling four years will be denied continued status and forced to leave.
They are barred from re-entering Canada as workers for four years. Over 62,000 workers currently in Canada, and many others entering the country will be affected.
Workers that choose to stay past four will become undocumented. The fact that these workers have been able to maintain a job for four years proves that their work is permanent, not temporary.
As a response to these changes, front-line migrant worker groups across Canada have come together to launch the Campaign Against a 4-year Limit on Migrant Workers. These migrant workers should be granted permanent residence, not forced to cut their ties with friends, family and community and leave.
These exclusions target workers that make less than the prevailing wage in their province or region (approximately $23/hour); and place an arbitrary limit on relationships and ties built over years.
Migrant worker groups in Edmonton, Guelph, Hamilton, Toronto, and Vancouver are coming together to demand:
- An immediate moratorium be placed on the 4 & 4 rule, so workers here may continue to work.
- That permanent residency be given to migrant workers already in Canada.
- That migrant workers receive access to all social benefits and entitlements
- That legislation be enacted providing permanent residency for all migrants upon arrival.
Campaign Against the 4 Year Limit on Migrant Workers includes Fuerza Puwersa (Guelph), Migrant Workers Alliance for Change*, Migrante Alberta, Radical Action with Migrants in Agriculture (Okanagan Valley) and Sanctuary City Hamilton.
Campaign demands are endorsed by the Council of Canadians.
- Sign our petition and share widely! https://www.change.org/p/stop-the-mass-deportation-of-thousands-of-immigrants-on-april-1st
- Look out for actions and events in your city . In Hamilton, the event is organized by the Sanctuary City Coalition.
For more information – www.no4and4.tumblr.com
Toronto / Canada-wide coordination – Syed Hussan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Guelph: Fuerza Puwersa email: email@example.com
Hamilton: Hamilton Sanctuary City Coalition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Okanagan Valley – RAMA: E-mail: email@example.com