This Thursday we will be gathering at Hamilton’s City Hall for Take Back the Night.
Take Back the Night is a powerful opportunity for women-identified folks to celebrate women’s strengths and to remind our community that one in three women will experience sexual violence in their lifetime.
6pm – We Gather
7pm – We Rally
7:30pm – We March
Over twenty five community agencies will be there with information and activities. Visit the SACHA table to find out more about the work we do supporting survivors and working to end violence. Pick up some buttons or patches at our table as well! Make a sign to carry during the march.
The march will be leaving City Hall at 7:30pm and following this route:
If you are not able to march the entire route there is a short cut back to City Hall at Summers Lane near the Hamilton Convention Centre. There will be a TBTN marshal waiting there to walk with folks back to City Hall. (She will be holding an amazing sign and wearing a reflective vest. You can’t miss her!)
Also, this year we will have an HSR city bus following the march for folks who are not able to walk the entire way.
The marshals are there to keep an eye out for everyone’s safety. We ask that you follow their instructions. If you need any assistance during the march please talk to a marshal.
The march takes about an hour to walk. We walk at a slower pace than most folks’ walking speed. Please be patient as many women coming to Take Back the Night have strollers or little ones joining them or they are using wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, canes or other mobility devices. The soundtruck will be setting the pace for the march. Please walk behind the soundtruck.
Take Back the Night can bring up many emotions – joy, sadness, excitement, fear, love. If you need to talk with someone please visit the SACHA table where there are folks ready to listen or call SACHA’s 24 Hour Support Line – 905.525.4162.
What to bring?
- A sign with your message about ending violence — There will be a sign making table at the gathering with lots of glitter, markers and bristol board if you’d like to make a sign at the event.
- Comfy shoes — The march is an hour long!
- A water bottle — There are water filling stations at the gathering and a fountain in City Hall.
- Noise makers — Let’s get loud!
- A raincoat (perhaps…) — TBTN happens rain or shine!
- About SACHA
- About Take Back the Night
- About why we invite women-identified folks and kids
- About the event for male allies