Most survivors (87%) will never tell a professional about the abuse.
Are You In?
If our friends tell us about their experiences of sexual assault we can help them tremendously by listening and believing them. Friends and family of survivors are welcome to call SACHA’s 24 Hour Support Line for support and ideas – 905.525.4573.
Some other ideas about how to help a friend:
- Believe them
- Empower them
- Be non-judgemental
- Empathize not sympathize
- Help her see herself as the expert
- Honour coping strategies
- Don’t minimize or blame
- Reframe self-blame
- Listen, validate, offer options, applause
- Refer to other resources
Every day in April we will be posting information about SACHA services and sexual violence as well as ways that folks can support SACHA.
We’re calling on you to take action! There’s lots of ways for your to spread the word and to support SACHA:
1. Support SACHA’s work! Become a SACHA monthly donor.
2. Share the campaign with friends!
3. Let folks know that you support SACHA using the and #HaveYouHeard hashtag.
4. Follow SACHA’s blog and Twitter or become friends with SACHA on Facebook.