I had such a great time chatting with grade nine girls this morning at Westdale Secondary School!
I visited two classes in the morning and we talked about dynamics of sexual assault, myths and lies that we are taught about sexual assault, consent and victim blaming.
It was really awesome to chat with folks about good examples of consent in the media. Can you think of a TV show or movie that shows characters asking for consent before they get it on? I would be super curious to know…
As usual, I promised to post some links about what we chatted about:
- Jackson Katz’s TEDx talk about how violence against women is a men’s issue:
- Feminist Frequency’s video on the Bechdel Test:
- As well as, Feminist Frequency’s Smurfette Principle from her Tropes VS. Women’s Series:
- Hank Green of the VlogBrothers on the Friend Zone:
- We talked about Amanda Todd’s story and the work that her mom Carol Todd is doing to end online sexual harassment of young women.
Thanks to the teachers who invited me into their classrooms and thanks for the students for being so brave and having honest, tough conversations about ending violence in our community.
Public Educator @ SACHA