Don’t be that guy — a campaign from Edmonton has come to Hamtilon!
Maybe you’ve seen these images widely posted online or visited the Edmonton campaign’s website – sexualassaultvoices.com?
This campaign encourages a couple of Extremely Important responses when it comes to partying it up and getting your bevvy on. First and foremost, it encourages male participants to Not Be That Guy — you know, the one who Only Talks to Drunk Women, the guy who Buys The Drinks For The Ladies all night; who Comes On Strong; and who is seen behaving coercively, pressuring or seem entitled (to certain women, for example).
In contrast, and by making a monstrously glaring example of That Guy, this campaign also encourages a different way for men to respond to women while drinking: with Respect for her needs; a Desire to Foster Safer Space for women; and An Ear for Consent — and the ability to honour the lackthereof.
Let’s encourage folks to Be That Guy.
Don’t Be That Guy is being brought to Hamilton by:
- Hamilton Health Sciences – Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Care Centre
- City of Hamilton Public Health Services
- Elizabeth Fry Society of Hamilton
- McMaster University Student Union
- McMaster University
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Hamilton Police Service
- Interval House
- Mohawk College
- Mohawk College Student’s Association
- Sexual Assault Centre (Hamilton and Area)